3.6 "full" packages

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Jul 28 19:04:52 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> [deprecating DVS]
> Note that while what you're saying (roughly "of course its deprecated,
> it is obsolete") makes perfect sense from your POV, when Andreas hears
> that DVS is deprecated, it sure sounds like he now needs to convert his
> packages. And practically speaking, format "vendors" should never
> deprecate a format quickly, because that causes their clients work and
> discomfort.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the meaning of "deprecate".  I take it to
mean, roughly, "this still works but is no longer considered the best way
of doing things; feel free to continue to use it for old things but try
not to for new things".  Which is certainly how I feel about DVS.

> [changing format]
> I don't care that much, but I'd slightly prefer SIF because then Squeak
> would be very easily loadable in other Smalltalks.

How well supported is SIF, in fact?  I know that the loader for Squeak is
incomplete.