crashes with Ballon3D (was: accelerated OpenGL on linux/nvidia (crash))

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Mon Jul 28 20:53:04 UTC 2003

On  Tuesday, July 15, 2003 11:42 PM
Radek Doulik <rodo at matfyz.cz> wrote
about crashes with Ballon3D under Linux.
Is this still an open question?

Radek wrote:

> I am experiencing crashes with Ballon3D. When I enable hardware
> acceleration, sooner or later squeak crashes. I found some comments on
> swiki (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2904) about using older NVidia
> drivers, but this semi-solution doesn't work for me as my card is not
> supported by old driver. The behavior explained there seems to be
> similar to my case.
>
> I tried various VM and image versions, including 3.4 packaged by rpm
> available on http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/ without success.
> It still crashes. Other OpenGL applications run without problem so it
> seems to be squeak bug/problem so far.
>
> Any idea what could be wrong and/or how to fix it?

Not really. From the wording of your message I conclude that you do
not experience crashes when you do not activate hardware acceleration.
Is that right?

Your crash dump shows that you tried to draw an IndexedTriangleMesh.
I remember that a long time ago I saw a problem with such a mesh that
I could not solve, but the problem was a constructed one without
practical importance, so I did not pay much attention to it. Nevertheless,
I am not convinced that your problem is a driver problem - it may
as well be a problem with Squeak.

Today I reconstructed the problem that I saw a year ago.
I checked it with Squeak 3.6a-5331 and the new
Ballon3D package that Andreas published today and I was
able to relyably crash the VM ! (with Windows 98 on a not so
very modern computer with a Intel 82810 graphics chip and
quite up-to-date OpenGL drivers) The attached change set contains
that example, please read the preamble to find out what it does.

(I should mention that the new Ballon3D package is otherwise
useable. I tried all my 3D stuff and it worked.)

Radek, can you perhaps prepare a change set with the scene
that causes the crash? I can try it on my computer.

Greetings,
Boris