3.6 "full" packages

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Jul 28 21:54:37 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Michael Rueger wrote:

> And because of the evaluation overhead involved in the current chunk
> format I wouldn't be sure if a carefully design XML based format
> wouldn't even be faster to parse than the chunk format.

I'm almost certain that this is true; a large part of the time in loading
a .mcv file is spent in the Compiler, and from what I've seen of YAXO it
should be a lot faster.

I should also point out that chunk format has some annoying limitations -
the worst one I've found is that you can't go over 256 literals within a
single chunk.  This is why MCVersionInfo's #storeString is a #fromArray:
method, with the entire version tree represented as a single
array literal.

Not that I'm advocating an XML format in particular, just sharing my
observations.