3.6 "full" packages

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Mon Jul 28 23:07:41 UTC 2003

Julian Fitzell wrote:
> Michael Rueger wrote (talking about benefits of XML):
>

>> You get multi-lingual character encoding for free.
>>

> How do you mean?  You should be able to use UTF-8 or UTF-16 but as far
> as I can tell YAXO doesn't handle these.  Clearly squeak needs to
> support multi-byte characters as well but is there some level of support
> hear that I'm not aware of?  I don't see how XML itself gives you this
> for free... it's just that compliant parsers should all understand it
> (and we don't).
>
> Or perhaps I'm completely missing your point...

Hmm, well, I think I missed it ;-)

What I meant to say is that you get a well defined way how to work with
files in different encodings. The files basically tell you which
encoding they use and have a well defined way  to escape characters.
And line end conventions don't matter :-)

Squeak (the current standard image) doesn't support anything, so we are
out of luck anyways.

Michael