3.6 "full" packages

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Tue Jul 29 02:57:04 UTC 2003

That's why I wrote "any other transformation" :-)

> 	You get multi-lingual character encoding for free.
>
> You only get multi-lingual character encoding when your Smalltalk system
> supports it.  (One commercial Smalltalk whose manual I happen to have handy

You are right. I already corrected/amended my statement in another email.

> 	If you don't use some of the more bizarre features of XML like entity
> 	declaration and inline substitution you can use an extremely simple parser.
>
> That is, XML is great if you don't actually use XML.  Not really a
> recommendation, is it?

Well, at least not for the people who came up with some of the braindead
features of XML ;-)

> faster than "if I see this parse tree pattern I do this".  Just because
> it is XML that is being matched to see what should be done doesn't make
> it anything other than "simulated evaluation".

Yes and no. What I was referring to was to actual evaluation that now
takes place in the interpretation of the chunk format. If you look at
just parsing the expressions then you're probably right.

To me XML is a structured file format and nothing more. If not abused it
solves a number of problems that I/we would need to find solutions for
anyways. There are tons of viewers, validators etc out there that we can
make use of, web browsers can display it in a structured way etc.
I'm just sick of the not-invented-here syndrom...

Michael