[Q] Process termination / GC

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Jul 29 06:58:12 UTC 2003

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 01:37  PM, Lex Spoon wrote:

> In short, a process will never get GC-ed.  You have to terminate it
> yourself.

Mmm this brought back memorys of an issue I had many  years ago with
VW. A running process is on the processor queues sorted by priority.
But if you suspended it, why it just removed it from the queue
structure. Seems a simple thing, but the problem was the only strong
link to that process and other things it held onto was via the
processor queue. So when I suspended it, then later went to resume it
after closing the inspector, why it was gone... Needed a Singleton on
the class side somewhere  to hold onto it, a common pattern in the
image.

Never looked to see if this is the case in Squeak.

===