3.6 "full" packages

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Jul 29 16:04:33 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 08:51 am, Tom Rushworth wrote:
> > I just get this reflex nowadays that when people say "Hey, let's
> > use XML!" I say "WHY?". As I said I have actually worked quite a
> > lot with XML (built a very complex fileformat for a QuarkXPress
> > killerapp in XML etc including tons of tricks with entities to
> > embed images etc). It is just that often it also introduces
> > complexity instead of reducing it.
>
> So what about YAML (www.yaml.org)?  I expect that would be a much
> lighter prereq.  There are Ruby and Perl parsers available.

I have been considering writing a YAML plugin using the Syck library
<http://whytheluckystiff.net/syck/> but its model is a bit annoying
because it uses callbacks. Still, this is how I imagine using it
(quoted from an email to the Yaml-core list):

"So what I figured I'd do is to allocate an array of
pointers in C, and use an array index as a SYMID. So when parse()
finished I'd have copies of all the nodes in my array (which I'd
probably have to realloc() from time to time). This could be passed
back as an instance variable in the YAMLDocument object (as an opaque
value), and individual members could be grabbed from Squeak by
calling down into the plugin. These would be identical to what got
passed to the parse_handler. Then we'd convert them to a tree of
linked Squeak objects, all in Squeak."

But I don't really have time to do this...

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com