location of package dependencies

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Tue Jul 29 16:30:10 UTC 2003

Hi,

> For example - suppose SmaCC is declared by it's author to depend on RB
> because the RB includes some specific extensions that SmaCC needs.
> Suppose those extensions are then incorporated in a later version of
> Squeak. The dependency information has changed, though the SmaCC code
> hasn't. It should be possible to update the dependency information
> somewhere, without repackaging or modifying the SM entry.
>
> Suppose the SmaCC maintainer is no longer interested in it, but one of
> its avid users has noted the dependency change. This user should be
> able
> add this information.

We should enable collaboration as good as possible.
That is why I think we should put our code on SourceForge or
something like it as often as we can.

SourceForge is very well suited for BSD-licensed stuff (OSI approved)
and  Andreas Raab told me recently, that Avi and others
put their Squeak-licensed code on SourceForge under  the
"Other custom license (OSD-Compliant as Open Source)", which means some
effort for the SourceForge people:

"If you selected "other", please provide an explanation along with a
description of your license.
Realize that other licenses may not be approved. Also, it may take
additional time to make a decision
for such project, since we will need to check that license is
compatible with the OSI's Open Source Definition."

Different with SmaCC, as this has no explicit license, so I cannot put
it there.
But I surely want others to collaborate on that, and absolutely don't
like the
fact, that it is lying on my own server, where I only own one
upload-password,
which I don't want to give to anybody...

So anybody wants to build SorceForge with Seaside? If no one else is
found,
the Squeak association Germany might host that stuff, we would have to
discuss this.
Might be overkill though, as most of the stuff is BSD or
Squeak-licensed, it
just needs to be moved to SourceForge.

Markus