Question about the debugger

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Tue Jul 29 16:56:22 UTC 2003

Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> What would be good is to have a "proceed" or restart that would take
> into account
> the change done to the variable in the environment or instance
> variables.
> Because now if you change a variable in fact you can select an
> expression and the
> expression will access the changed value but if you proceed this will
> not.

On proceed, statements after the breakpoint will see the changed value.
Only restart nils the temps.

> So I thought this could be confusing for new guys. This is only because
> I play
> naively with the debugger that I noticed this kind of "not so good"
> behavior.

Maybe restart should start from the currently highlighted text, instead
of from the beginning of the current context.  This way you can change a
value and restart from where you like.  Maybe we should have a step-back
button too so you don't have to highlight manually.

Cheers,
Anthony