Effective SM entries (was Proposal for Morphicperformance-measurement enhancement)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Jul 29 18:04:11 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> On more thought: Perhaps we should generally have some menu where loaded
> packages can register themselves to provide additional information. For
> example, when you load some of the packages then they'll open up some
> workspace which is nice. But when you close the workspace it's gone.
For VMMaker I included a help button that opens a short explanation of
how to use it and pointers to the two longer pages on the swiki. I know
a lot of people think that documentation is for weenies, and the old
sigline joke of "doc? why do you think it's called code?" rings horribly
true. As I pointed out a while back, writing some doc is actaully a very
good way to work out what on earth you need to do since there is little
point spending time writing code you can't even explain to yourself.

Adele Goldberg pointed out some time ago that "If it isn't documented,
it doesn't exist" is a good mantra to apply.

tim
Useful random insult:- Bad spot on the disk.