looking up ip global IP address from inside LAN

Stoffel, Andrew andrew.stoffel at jenzabar.net
Tue Jul 29 19:39:33 UTC 2003

> From: Peter Crowther

> > From: [...] Stoffel, Andrew
> > In theory you should be able to get the address from traceroute
> > because it SHOULD be the next address following your router's LAN
> > address when you use traceroute...

> Ah, this takes me back to my days of teaching networking for
> a living ;-).

> Unfortunately not, as the packets come back from the interface
> of each router that's on 'your' side.

Ok. I think I understand enough about networking to THINK
I understand why that would be true but I won't attempt
to display even more ignorance of such things by saying what
I think causes this %-).

> There is no way [that I can see] of obtaining the address
> through IP or ICMP; you get the wrong side of the interface.

So using something like arp to show routing tables will only
display "my" side of the interface (I'm assuming...). Guess I'll
have to do some experimenting when I get home tonight...

> That leaves the good old Application layer.  Hmmm...

[displaying my antiquated networking knowledge]
Can't you get the ip address if you know the hardware/ethernet
address of the interface ? Granted, if so, you probably would have
to write something to get that info and to keep it relevant to
'here' you might want to do it in Squeak :-).

-Andy-