[ANN] SqueakMap 1.08

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Jul 30 00:08:20 UTC 2003

Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca> wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 03:55  PM, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
>
> >> I don't think that it's appropriate or necessary to load the DVS
> >> package with SqueakMap any more.
> >
> > Hmmm, well there are quite a lot of apps using it:
> > http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/category/b02f51f4-25b4-4117-9b65-
> > f34
> > 6215a8e41
>
> The reason DVS was bundled with SqueakMap was that PackageInfo used to
> be part of DVS.

No. The reason is that many packages are in DVS format and would only
install using simple filein without DVS. We chose to include it.

> You don't need DVS to install packages in .st format,
> right?

Well, you do if you want "controlled" upgrades.

> > And I am not sure Monticello is completely up for the job yet? Marked
> > as
> > beta?
>
> I think Monticello is "up to the job," but it shouldn't be bundled with
> SqueakMap either. It's a versioning system, not an installer.

Why is it marked as beta then? :-)

And what about the issue Andreas brought up nicely summarized by Ned?
(DVS can handle .st fileins pretty nice. Monticello can not. Right?)

And someone needs to write an SMMCInstaller too.

Btw, I have gotten a rewrite of SMDVSInstaller from Ned - haven't had
the time to look closely. Just so you know SMDVSInstaller is actually
broken right now - it simply doesn't kick in.

> Colin

regards. Göran