Effective SM entries (was Proposal for Morphicperformance-measurement enhancement)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Jul 30 00:27:02 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Göran,
>
> I think you missed the point of the proposal which was to use a Swiki entry.

Eh, well, I am not sure what you mean. I agree that a Swiki entry is not
very good.

> I'm sure the SM cache won't mirror the Swiki, would it? ;-) And yes, let's

No, of course not. What I meant was that we can "attach" resources
reachable by URL to package releases (or packages). Those resources will
be managed by the cache.

Then we can easily add a nice little hierarchical menu perhaps looking
like:

SharedStreams 1.0
	Tutorial
Seaside 2.123
	Tutorial
	Quickstart

etc. Just select Seaside->Tutorial and wham, up comes the resource -
which could be a Squeak Project or just a textfile or whatever. From the
cache if available, otherwise from the net (SM master mirror or original
URL).

- It is not in the image taking up place.
- It is properly cached for offline access and preloading (suck it all
down why don't ya!)
- It is easily categorized using SM categories (Tutorial, Quickstart
etc) making it easy to construct UIs like the hierarchical little menu
above.
- It is kept updated by simply updating the map.

> fix the UI thing - how about just making it so when we select "show
> installed packages" we actually _see_ the installed packages.

Sure. Or we could make a top level menu entry in the World menu:

installed packages...

That gives you the menu I describe above (including version names).

> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

regards, Göran

PS. All this is similar to what I wrote about the Magic Book a while
ago. SM acts like a big always up to date TOC.