3.6 "full" packages

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Jul 30 01:06:40 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 05:57 pm, Avi Bryant wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Ned Konz wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 July 2003 05:37 pm, Avi Bryant wrote:
> > > Right.  YAML is designed to be easy for humans, not for
> > > parsers. The only YAML parsers I know about are based on yacc
> > > grammars, whereas XML tools don't tend to need to resort to a
> > > parser generator...
> >
> > Steve Howell's Python parser is/was a rather clean
> > recursive-descent one, as I recall.
>
> Ah, good.  Would that one be fairly easy to port, then?

It didn't look too bad. However, it's incomplete.

There's also Ingy's YAML.pm for Perl, which is also recursive-descent
and looks pretty clean.

Plus, either _why's Syck library could be made into a plugin, or that
his YACC grammar could be fed to SmaCC.

I think the plugin idea is probably the easiest thing to do (that is,
leverage an actively maintained external library), but it's got the
added annoyance of being a plugin.

Plus there's a bit of an "impedance mismatch" between the
yyparse()/callback model of the library and the Squeak plugin model:
we'd have to buffer the nodes and then later let Squeak iterate
through them to build the document model.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com