[ANN] SqueakMap 1.08

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Jul 30 08:46:15 UTC 2003

Hi all!

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
>
> > And what about the issue Andreas brought up nicely summarized by Ned?
> > (DVS can handle .st fileins pretty nice. Monticello can not. Right?)
>
> Well, hang on now.
>
> You've brought up a couple of times this magical ability of DVS to update
> .st packages instead of just filing them in.
>
> But that's not strictly correct.  DVS can update DVS packages, not
> arbitrary .st files.

I know that.

> Monticello can do the same thing with Monticello packages.

Yes, but as we said earlier - Monticello today doesn't have the
"feature" of having a fileformat that can be filedin old fashion way AND
be installed intelligently using Monticello. You need to choose. Not
that this has much to do with this discussion.

> So, yes, if you want to treat DVS packages "nicely", then you have to have
> DVS installed.  If you want to treat Monticello packages nicely, you have
> to have Monticello installed.
>
> I don't see this as an argument to automatically load DVS any more than an
> argument to automatically load Monticello.

The problem is that a DVS package (disregarding the current brokenness
of course) still has the menu choice "install" *even* if DVS isn't
installed because it can still be installed as a simple filein. So
people can typically miss the fact that it is better to install and use
DVS first. And I am still saying "better" in the respect of new releases
of said package.

IIRC (and I may not) we added DVS since it was so very useful to have
installed in order to install the packages in DVS format. Sure, we can
throw it out. I just didn't understand why the reasons for having it in
have changed!

> There are currently more DVS packages than there are Monticello packages
> on SqueakMap.  However, once we iron out the kinks of using Monticello as
> a distribution format, I bet those numbers would shift pretty quickly.

Agree.

> So, like Ned, I recommend that DVS not be auto-installed.
> Avi

Ok. I can remove it. Just want to understand the why's here.

regards, Göran