[ENH] QuickStartMenu

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jul 30 17:30:59 UTC 2003

Hi Göran,

It looks pretty good but there are a number of aspects that I don't really
like too much. One is a conceptional problem: Unless we have cards for each
individual version of a package, updating an SM card from the server would
lead people to think that there's a new quickstart available. Clicking on it
would result in DNU unless they do have the very latest (very bad in the
light of active development). Secondly, having only a single entry in that
list seems like it's really not enough - given the menu, I would like to be
able hook in there a few examples, tutorials, links etc.

So how about this: The SM annotation could actually be links to *external*
documentation for this package. In other words, we might use something like:

[doc: 'The Foo Bar Tutorial' http://minnow/squeak/1234]
[doc: 'The Foo Bar Project' http://some.other.place/myProject.pr]
[doc: 'The Foo Bar Package' http://map.sf.org/packagebyname/FooBarPackage]

for the attributation which makes it simple for the package maintainers to
link external documentation into the UI. In addition to this, I still think
we should have a registry for "built-in" documentation/examples etc. - all
the stuff which is shipped with the package itself should be local to the
version of the package and not reside on some "remote card".

The above would separate out the issue of "documentation shipped with" and
"documentation provided outside" of a package. Both are useful and needed
and having the ability to link the two should prove really helpful. In
addition, having the package maintainer "be in control" over the links
provided should ensure a certain quality control (which I think is good).

Cheers,
  - Andreas

PS. As a completely OT afterthought, but stuff like the above is why I like
YAML. It'd be sooooo nice if you could just write

menu:
	- title: The Foo Bar Tutorial
	  url: "http://foo.bar.org/"
	- title: The Foo Bar Project
	  utl: "http://foo.bar.org/"

in the SMCard ;-) Maybe we should just define [] as "YAML quotes"? ;-)

PPS. And if we're going to use those kinds of annotations more regularly we
_have_ to think about a better way of describing them - this was supposed to
be a quick hack not a long-term solution ;-)