request for critique

David Faden dfaden at iastate.edu
Mon Jun 2 11:04:47 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm interested in getting some comments on a bit of Smalltalk code. Am
I missing or misapplying some of the common idioms? Comments on style
(or correctness) would be very welcome too. My code is attached to the
bottom of this message.

The code is for a little Mandelbrot set explorer. It seems pretty slow
(compared to similar implementations of the M. set in different
environments and compared to other graphics objects within the Squeak
image). Is the usual way to create an image pixel-by-pixel in Squeak to
create a Form then set the pixels one-by-one using #colorAt: put: or
#pixelValueAt: put:? What could I do to improve the performance?

Is there a way to associate an hour glass cursor with a single Morph to
allow it indicate that it's carrying out a noticeably time consuming
process?

Is there a simple way to have a Morph just take over the handling of
some MouseEvents but not all so that it will get the default handling
for the events it's not interested in?

Thank you.

David