About 3.6 alpha process: to break the less

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Jun 3 08:08:45 UTC 2003

Hi

We produced KCP change but we were modifying classes that are now
removed from 3.6.
So this leads to load errors. We could tediously discard the changes
from the changesets but
this would be a pity because we would introduce a lot of errors in
external packages.

Now I was thinking that we are doing too much in the same time.
Cleaning in a closed world assumption is much easier
than in presence of removal.

So now that we are following this path, I think that the best way to
continue would be to
have a script loading all the packages that will be present in the 3.6
full image and that the cleaners
works on this image.

What will be absolutely important for the future is to have package (a
class knowing which class and methods it contains), this way (except
for class extensions made from one package to another one), we could
make that each
change related to a given package goes into the right package.

Tell me what you think about that.

Stef