About 3.6 alpha process: to break the less

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Jun 3 17:43:36 UTC 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> > You've mentioned this a couple of times.  This is of course what my
> > PackageInfo class is designed for; is there some reason it doesn't work
> > for your (immediate) needs?
>
> I just have no time to try and I just want to stay focused on cleaning.
> So what should I load DVS, monticello??

These both use PackageInfo, but you can load it on its own as well.  You
can see http://beta4.com/squeak/aubergines/docs/packageinfo.html for more
info, and download it from SqueakMap.

> By the way this name is not good PackageInfo why this is not simply
> Package, because I have class and not classInfo.

Because PackageInfo is just a read only wrapper around SystemOrganization
- it's not actually storing the information about which methods and
classes are in a package, it's searching through the system building up
this info based on naming conventions.  I have a notion that before it can
be a full fledged "Package", it has to go both ways; not only can you ask
it questions about packaging, but you can use it to alter the packaging as
well, ie, one could build a browser around Package instead of
SystemOrganization.  You can't do this yet, so I keep the "Info" on the
name so we all realize it's only a 50% solution.

To put it another way - I don't want to call it Package until it's a
fuller reification of one.

Cheers,
Avi