[VM][LINUX][DEBIAN] Building

Alexander Lazarević Alexander at Lazarevic.de
Wed Jun 4 10:37:13 UTC 2003

Hi!

Just a feedback for the vm developers.

I tried once again to build a linux vm on a debian system and had some
troubles in doing so.

I got the platform sources from CVS and a 3.6-5247 image, loaded SqueakMap and
VMMaker. I selected all plugins to be internal. VMMaker refused to create
source files for the plugins InternetConfigPlugin, TestOSAPlugin and
UUIDPlugin, but that seems to be ok.

So far so good. Because I'm on a debian system I chose to built a debian
package using the command

	fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc

The first _really_ confusing thing was, that a package with version 3.2.4743-2
was about to be build. First I thought I had downloaded by accident some old
version from CVS. But it turned out, that the debian/changelog file hasn't
been updated in a while.
After another run of dpkg-buildpackage the first plugin failed to built
because of an missing config.h file. Somehow this file was not written to the
proper place or was just missing.
I launched ../platforms/unix/config/configure in the directory build-oss and
after that did a make squeak.
It went all well until the B3DAccelerator plugin was about to be compiled. An
undeclared variable PrimTypeMax raised an error. I greped through the
sources, but wasn't able to find a definition/declaration of that variable.
I haven't figured out what is causing this or what file is missing, but maybe
someone has a hint for me.

Alex

--
"The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special
dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm now."  -- operator