About 3.6 alpha process: to break the less

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Jun 4 13:21:56 UTC 2003

Hi all!

First of all I am fully on Daniel's side here - just a few more words
that is all. :-)

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
> work on a Full image, as you stated, this will help.

Right.

> I've stated before that I don't think that's the solution - I think that
> refactoring an image with any subset of SM package will break some
> stuff. Working in Full will make you generate patches to lots of
> packages. This is good, if you intend to help the maintainer of each
> package integrate it. Otherwise, it's a waste of time.

Exactly. The point here is that changes you do to packages (that you are
not signed up as maintainer of) should be sent to the maintainer of that
package.

DVS makes this simpler - but all packages are not maintained using DVS.
We could start thinking about forcing all "official" Squeak packages to
use DVS of course.

Using that you would simply hack away with the packages installed. Then
those packages that get a little "*" in the Packagepanel have been
"touched" and you would simply press "Fileout" on those and send those
.st files to the appropriate maintainer.

He/she could then (Avi?) probably use DVS to produce a ChangeSet from
those fileouts in order to see what the changes are etc. And then
integrate and release a new version.

> Either way, don't feel free to deprecate anything you don't think is
> used, because you *don't* have a closed world. Give consideration to
> what you remove/deprecate.

Exactly - and this includes *more* than what is in the current 3.5
(before the removals came).

regards, Göran