Smalltalk solutions anyone?

Alan Knight knight at acm.org
Wed Jun 4 20:00:27 UTC 2003

In addition to those already mentioned, David Smith is presenting a keynote
talk on Croquet, Doug Way will be presenting a general Squeak update talk
we've put at the end of the day (on Tuesday) so it could fairly easily
spill over into a BOF. Maurice Rabb's bio says he's a Squeaker, although
he'll be talking about his MicroLingua work.

And of course there are a good many talks about things that apply to Squeak
as well as other Smalltalks, e.g. Don and John on using the Refactoring
Browser's rewrite tool, Eliot Miranda on bytecode-level adaptive
optimization, Bruce Badger on Postgresql, or my talk on GLORP. There are
talks that apply even to non-Smalltalk programming, e.g. Scott Ambler's
keynote on agile programming   . And there are some extremely
hard-to-classify things that I think Squeakers might find of interest, e.g.
Vassili Bykov's implementation of a full Smalltalk-80 v2 VM, including
Dorado filesystem, implemented in VisualWorks. He presented that last year
and got some very nice commentary from Dan Ingalls. This year he's
presenting primarily on the performance aspects.

And contrary to the way things normally work, it's looking like there
should be some significant discounts available on travel and accomodation,
if you look carefully. I'd be very tempted to try the Priceline $50/night
offer that worked very well at OOPSLA 2001.

Hope to see you there,

--
Alan Knight [|], Program Chair, Smalltalk Solutions 2003
knight at acm.org
http://www.smalltalksolutions.com