About 3.6 alpha process: to break the less

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Jun 4 20:12:09 UTC 2003

Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 03:04 PM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

>> work on a Full image, as you stated, this will help.
>>
>> I've stated before that I don't think that's the solution - I think that
>> refactoring an image with any subset of SM package will break some
>> stuff. Working in Full will make you generate patches to lots of
>> packages. This is good, if you intend to help the maintainer of each
>> package integrate it. Otherwise, it's a waste of time.
>

> OK

So yes, I would load that package and work in the Full image, so that
you can keep track of changes in the removed packages.

We probably don't want to require this as a standard practice, but for
something like KCP or MCP which has sweeping changes, it's probably a
good idea.

It sounds like (from what Goran says) you can use DVS to track which
changes are going to which reloaded packages.

- Doug Way