Squeak 3.4 under FreeBSD

Mike O'Brien obrien at rush.aero.org
Wed Jun 4 17:31:58 UTC 2003

	I built Squeak from sources on FreeBSD 4.8, and got some
odd behavior.  It runs, all right, but doesn't seem to be clock-
driven.  That is, the "zoom" effect when you enter or leave a
project (for example) freezes unless you move the mouse around.
Processing mouse events apparently kicks the scheduler into
running the "zoom" until it's completed.  Similarly, if you
pick "quit" from the main background menu, the secondary menu
asking you if you want to save or not, doesn't pop up until you
move the mouse a little bit.

	Is this a symptom others have seen before?  It sort of
reminds me of what would happen on an old PDP-11 UNIX system when
the clock stopped.  As long as everyone kept typing, things were
sort of ok...

Mike O'Brien