Squat progress 8 June 2003

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Mon Jun 9 18:31:52 UTC 2003

Hi John,

> Do you think you'll be able to get a Squeak image below 100k
> as you were hoping?
>
> My record for a tiny Squeak image that does something useful
> is one that does "toothpaste" in 172k.

    What version of Squeak was it (2.x, 3.x  ?)

    Is it available for download ?
    I like to do some ImageProcessing on it. ;-)

> That image still has the bare essentials of graphics (Form Pen BitBlt)
> and the UI (Display & InputSensor).
> My record for an application without graphics is 136k (~1000 methods)
> for an image that merely dumps memory stats to a file
> (no compiler, no graphics).
> But I don't count that as a useful application...

    If my math is not so rusted, the graphics engine is less than 36KB ?
    Is it morphic ?

> In any case, 300k is pretty darned small!

    Yes, it's pretty impressive, considering that it's 3.5 vintage.

    OTOH, size does matter but the technology is even more important.
    (Let's hope for a Squatta Sutra  ;-)

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.