Gentoo Squeak install report.

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Tue Jun 10 03:02:04 UTC 2003

I downloaded the latest src I could find on Ian's site to attempt to
build Squeak on my new Gentoo install.

What I found was 2 different source tarballs in 2 different directories
both going by

Squeak-3.5-1devel.src.tar.gz   10-Feb-2003 04:49   1.9M
Squeak-3.5-1devel.src.tar.gz   04-Mar-2003 07:00   2.0M

I downloaded the latest from:
http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/unix/devel-3.5/dist/

I was prepared to apply Ned's acinclude.m4 patch from
Subject: [FIX] DOUBLE_WORD_ORDER autoconf fix for gcc 3.2
Date: 04/22/03 14:25

to fix a previously noted problem. But I wanted to give it a chance as
strait from the tarball.

It seems to be working correctly as best I can tell on such a short notice.

tinyBenchmarks gives me '31143552 bytecodes/sec; 1460161 sends/sec'

This is on an
Athlon 700mhz 1.25gb RAM
Squeak 3.5-1devel vm
Squeak 3.6alpha at 5240

vm compiled with gcc 3.2.2

Ian's acinclude.m4 in this one is apparently different from the one that
Ned patched (different dates and other items) however I could not spot
any difference in the patched area other than location in the file.

Don't know if this helps or informs anyone, but wanted to report my
experience.

Jimmie Houchin