Object: Identity vs. Environment

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Jun 10 04:11:14 UTC 2003

Joel Shellman <joel at ikestrel.com> wrote:
	But you just said in your other email that isWebBrowser should
	not be in Object.

True.

	If that is the case, than if you call
	isWebBrowser there will be a chance you'll get an MNU.

False.  When I write
    (aCollection size + 1) * 2
there isn't the slightest point in wrapping an exception handler
around it, even though #+ is not defined in Object.

In fact, I've just sent a message in this thread which shows that
we don't need #isWebBrowser _at all_.

	Why not just assume that what you have is what you expect and
	just send the message you expect it to support and not bother
	with any #isFoo call at all?  That's my missing suggestion #5
	that I've bee pondering a little lately.

But, but, but, that's what people already DO.
The #isFoo calls are there for the cases where what people *expect*
includes objects that do support a particular protocol AND ALSO
objects that don't.  When you are only expecting objects that do
support the protocol, OF COURSE you don't call #isFoo.

Here I stopped reading.  Here I end my contributions to this thread.