Squeak on Linux: Use 3.4 VM!

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Tue Jun 10 19:58:10 UTC 2003

Okay, okay I was a dingbat. :)
My discovery of that "different" src tarball is the one linked on Ian's
front page. See "Gentoo Squeak install report"

After seeing this message, I downloaded to the 3.4 vm.

With GCC 3.2.2 on Gentoo I have not experienced any of the difficulties
others have experienced with a post 2.95 GCC. With either of the Unix
src VMs.

I don't know if GCC 3.2.2 is different from what others are using and/or
if it fixed any problems that existed prior to it. But I have had
success so far with it on Gentoo. I am also using -O3 optimization.

I too want to express my gratefulness to Ian for his efforts on the Unix
VM. It will be a great blessing for us (and hopefully him) to have him
to be able to begin to participate in Squeak some more. :)

Thanks Ian.

Jimmie Houchin