[KCP] SystemDictionary cleaning: Comments and design

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Tue Jun 10 21:08:47 UTC 2003

>IOW, the solution to things being hard to find is to have better
>tools. Senders+selector browser are great for this, but maybe other
>needs mean more UIs, organized differently could help.
>
>Grouping functionally unrelated things doesn't help, and IMO
>"system-related" is too vague and too general to be a useful concept.
>
>Daniel

They are functionally related, the relation is: requesting information
about the system, adjusting behavior of the system. Senders+selector
browsing will not help that much, because you don't know what the
system offers or what it needs. That is, why I said browsing these
possibilities and requirements with one wellknown starting point is
needed.

>Personally I think class categories are great for aiding browsing.
>Simply make sure all these "system level" classes are grouped nicely
>in the categories and then I can't see the harm in having a few
>classes instead of a single one.
>
>It would even make it simpler IMHO to find things that way because you
>get an extra top level "grouping". Saving the image? Hmmm, perhaps I
>should look in class Image? :-)
>
>Class SystemDictionary doesn't really ring a bell for that.
>
>regards, Göran

Right, and it should be a *single* category to have the single
starting point of which I talked. This category would be characterized
as having classes which can: requesting information about the system,
adjusting behavior of the system.

Of course not everything which is 'system-manipulation' can be sorted
smoothly in this category, but we should have this as an important
goal in mind and try accordingly.

regards,
Martin