AW: [OT] SmalltalkAgents , Old Smalltalk for the Mac

Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com
Wed Jun 11 08:27:45 UTC 2003

"David Farber" <dfarber at numenor.com> wrote:
>SmalltalkAgents is now S#--Smalltalk for .NET.

It's not the same, but it is true that S# has it's roots in STAgents.

"Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene" <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>Then is another story to going to Dark Side ?

Smallscript/S# is a Smalltalk which is able to compile native EXE's and
DLL's
and also compile to .NET MSIL. The underlying AOS system is written
independent from the OS so (depending on the business success of the
.NET/Windows
version) we may see a version for Linux, Mac and other operating systems
too.

Even without a non windows version it should be possible to run S# .NET
assemblies
on other platforms since .NET isn't Microsoft and Windows only anymore
thanks to
projects like Mono (www.go-mono.org) or DotGNU
(www.gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/)

Since the Mono .NET VM is also able to run a Java VM (IKVM project) someone
was able to get even Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) running on IKVM, running on
Mono,
running on Linux. (see http://www.nexus.hu/vargaz/)
Definitely very slow - but it works. The future brings more integration
and even what you call the dark side, gets brighter ;)

Bye
Torsten