Update problems

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Jun 11 19:50:06 UTC 2003

Andreas Raab wrote:

>Secondly, it seems that the Network rewrite updates lack some initialization
>code. Socket>>deadServer responds with nil which makes it impossible to load
>further updates without manually resetting the dead server, e.g.,
>	Socket deadServer: ''
>does the trick. I think some additional update just containing the above
>should solve that problem for anyone who updates through the entire sequence
>but people having stopped after the network rewrite will have the do the
>above manually.

I just tried adding a new update 5260 on the internal (testing) stream,
and that doesn't work because the dead server stops any updates after
5259 from being loaded, even if they are done in sequence.

So, it looks like I'll need to just overwrite update 5259 so that it
also includes the " Socket deadServer: '' " reset in its postscript.
Overwriting updates has been done on rare occasions in the past, I
believe. :-)  Either way, people who have already updated and saved a
5259 image will need to execute the do-it themselves.

(Speaking of not being out of the woods yet, the update broadcasting
mechanism seems to be broken now too.  I ftp-ed these updates directly
to the server to test them.  I'll have to look at this problem tonight...)

- Doug Way