Error starting squeak for the first time

Neil Madden nem00u at cs.nott.ac.uk
Wed Jun 11 21:13:38 UTC 2003

Hello,

I'm a newcomer to squeak, and I apologise if this is a FAQ (I've searched
for quite a while but didn't find anything).

After spending quite some time trying to get squeak running on my system
(SuSE Linux 8.1 - x86), I've run into the following problem: on starting
squeak, it brings up a GUI, but any action I take (moving a scrollbar,
clicking on anything etc) results in a debug window popping up saying:

***System error handling failed***
Error: Cannot truncate this number
Debugger class>>openContext:label:contents:
Error>>devDefaultAction
Error>>defaultAction
Error(Exception)>>signal
Error(Exception)>>signal:
Float(Object)>>error:
Float>>truncated
Float>>rounded
Color>>setRed:green:blue:
Color class>>r:g:b:
Color class>>r:g:b:alpha:
Color>>alphaMixed:with:
Color>>veryMuchLighter
PreDebugWindow(SystemWindow)>>paneColor:
PreDebugWindow(SystemWindow)>>paneColor
PreDebugWindow(SystemWindow)>>paneColorToUse
PreDebugWindow(SystemWindow)>>extent:
PreDebugWindow>>extent:
PreDebugWindow(SystemWindow)>>initialize
PreDebugWindow>>initialize
--------------------------
Type CR to enter an emergency evaluator.
Type any other character to restart.

I've not been able to get passed this point. Anyone know what the problem
is?

This is with a self-built 3.4.1 from the sources linked to from squeak.org
download page. The reason I had to self-build is that all the rpms complain
about me not having glibc 2.3 (despite the webpages saying that glibc 2.2
only is required). I'm using a 3.4-5170 build image file. Everything
compiled and installed with no apparent problems.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what could be wrong?

Cheers,

Neil.