[KCP] SystemDictionary cleaning: Comments and design

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jun 11 22:44:56 UTC 2003

Stef,

> I do not why you continue to think that my notion of design is random
> distribution. I thought you knew me better.

Oh, but now you c'mon! I never said anything near that (and you should know
me better than reading it into my messages). All I want to point out is that
it is very easy to get lost in the depths of "over-factoring" things and
introduce classes for each and everything. And you don't gain much (in fact
I think you loose a lot) if you just introduce a class X because Y does not
belong into Z. Note that all my remarks were against "negative selection"
where you say it does NOT belong to some place. I have never argued against
"positive selection" where you say this method belongs to X because of ... -
in fact I have pointed towards SystemNavigation as a positive example. I
wonder how one can see that as me saying that'd be random design but hey,
YMMV ;-)

> SystemDictionary [...] is a namespace.

Ah, now here's an interesting point - I wasn't aware that your goal was to
remove basically *all* methods from SystemDictionary. I thought you were
looking at cleanup (I consider removing everything from SystemDictionary to
be a little more than just cleanup). Now if that's your goal then negative
selection makes some more sense than usual but I'd still opt for a single
generic utility class rather than twenty quite specific ones ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas