[Curious] Integer division => fraction

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Thu Jun 12 02:16:41 UTC 2003

Hi Andréas,

>He pointed out (and I agree) that most people tend to
>find it it confusing that "3/4" results in a fraction rather than
coercing
>to Float by default.

        I tend to agree with John Sarkela on this.

        Limited precision binary floating point numbers have some
        nice properties (i.e. fixed size representation, large
        dynamic range, fast hardware implemenations, etc), but they have
        their ugly side as well (inexact represenation of some
        results like 1 / 3).  I think the only reason "most people"
        consider floats to be more natural is because they've grown
        up with computers that don't favor supporting fractions.

        BTW, do they even still teach things like fractions and long
        division in grade school?

                        -Dean