Error starting squeak for the first time

Sean Charles bibbers at onetel.net.uk
Thu Jun 12 07:55:37 UTC 2003

> I'm a newcomer to squeak, and I apologise if this is a FAQ (I've
> searched for quite a while but didn't find anything).
>
> After spending quite some time trying to get squeak running on my
> system (SuSE Linux 8.1 - x86), I've run into the following problem: on
> starting squeak, it brings up a GUI, but any action I take (moving a
> scrollbar, clicking on anything etc) results in a debug window popping
> up saying:

Neil, I also run Squeak on Suse8.1 Professional...with no problems. I
hate to say it but I am using the standard download. However, your
problem re: missing glibc etc etc is not unknown to me! In the past I
have had some 'challenges' getting Squeak to run on Linux but the most
daring hack I ever had to pull, to avoid a rebuild(!) was to use 'ln
-s ...' to make Squeak think I had what it wanted and it has never let
me down!

Have a try at that first. If it still doesn't work then maybe I'll turn
the big PC on again and have a go myself!

Sean Charles