On using DVS & .sars

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 12 18:40:36 UTC 2003

I've just been putting together a .sar for the VMMaker package and had
a few strangenesses.

I noticed the #fileInPackageNamed: method and thought "oh goody, this'll
be the one to use to file in a DVS made file". Bzzt. Somehow it not only
didn't register the package, it _prevented_ the doit at the end of the
DVS file from registering the package. Using #fileInMemberNamed: worked
which was a relief but a surprise.

DVS files out code with LF instead of CRs. I guess this is to suit CVS,
which is reasonable given the purpose of DVS. Code reads ok in the
browsers but if you file it out 'normally' it has CRs and LFs all over
the place.

I added a couple of classes (previously dropped by accident of category
mis-naming) and edited a coupleof methods and tried to use 'Changes'.
DVS churned away for about twenty minutes (yes, my machine really is
slow) and gave me.... nothing. The produced log filewas empty. Clearly
there should have actually been _something_ to show for two entire
classes!

tim
I'm so skeptical that I'm not sure I'm really a skeptic