Fun article

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Thu Jun 12 19:28:43 UTC 2003

On Thursday 12 June 2003 11:53 am, Aaron J Reichow wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Jack Johnson wrote:
> > On a side note, has anyone taken a look at Bluebottle?
> >
> > http://www.bluebottle.ethz.ch/
>
> I have, although it wasn't a very indepth look.  I used to love to play
> with the Oberon system- I must have a thing for all-encompasing language
> environments. I started playing with Oberon before Squeak actually, but it
> didn't last.  Oberon would make a good Squeak analog for someone who likes
> a much more rigid language.

I have also looked a lot at Oberon over the years... coming from a 'Wirthian'
language background ;-) I only read over some of the descriptions on
BlueBottle.

> They should make all of those GaTech kids who complain about Squeak's
> non-standard GUI (as if there was such a thing...) learn Oberon instead.
> For anyone coming from Windows, Mac OS, or even modern-day X11
> environments, Oberon is a whacky place to exist.

You got that right! They redefined all the conventions... can be very
frustrating. Smalltalk invented the conventions, so it's not frustrating ;)