Fun article

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Thu Jun 12 19:29:43 UTC 2003

Jack Johnson wrote:

> On a side note, has anyone taken a look at Bluebottle?
>
> http://www.bluebottle.ethz.ch/

    Anyone who still doubts that OOP is inherently modular,
    should have a look at this. The graphics system is really cool.

    Hey, there is even a Ph. D dissertation on its kernel:

          http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~muller/PieterMuller.pdf

<Quote>
                    Bit by bit,
                    Putting it together ...
                    Piece by piece-
                    Only way to make it work.
                    Every moment makes a contribution,
                    Every little detail plays a part.
                    Having just a vision's no solution.
                    Everything depends on execution:
                    Putting it together-
                    That's what counts.

                            - with apologies to Stephen Sondheim.
</Quote>

                    Having just a vision's no solution.
                    Everything depends on execution:

    It is object oriented right down to the bare metal.

    There are also plugins !

<Quote>

A plugin module is usually responsible for several instances of the
object class it manages and therefore instantiates one or more plugin
objects. For example, a device driver plugin will instantiate one object
for every instance of the device present in the system."

</Quote>

    It's clean amd lean:

<Quote>

3. It serves as a new example of the lean software approach to system
design. For example, a system with only 50KB of kernel code
and 150KB of operating system services and application code can
perform useful tasks, such as serving dynamic web pages on an
off-the-shelf multiprocessor machine. Arguably, by focusing on
the essential, it can perform its task more securely and reliably
than a conventional operating system.

</Quote>

    Squeak in BlueBottle, anyone ?

    Cheers,