[KCP] SystemDictionary cleaning: Comments and design

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Thu Jun 12 22:27:26 UTC 2003

> These new different classes are in fact one virtual object - the
> medium which brings 'Smalltalk the experience' to you, to which you
> interactively and programmatically talk, which you want to
> query about its abilities and needs and resources, which you are
manipulating. So
> it should be fine to have one single class for this 'object' in a
> variable with a single name: Smalltalk.

I might as well throw out a question I've had for a while -- why not
name that variable 'Squeak'?  A small change with large side effects,
sure...

But I've never been comfortable with referring to the singleton
SystemDictionary as "Smalltalk" in a system that we intend (eventually,
anyway :)) to evolve past Smalltalk into something better.  And it would
just be fun to see references to "Squeak" in the code.