[KCP] SystemDictionary cleaning: Comments and design

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Jun 12 23:51:20 UTC 2003

I've got used to saying "Smalltalk do this" "Smalltalk do that".
So a cleaned SystemDictionary is going to trip me up.

This cleanup actually has the potential to *reduce* the amount of
code in the system without reducing power or convenience, so I
certainly don't want to argue against it.

But when the change trips me up, I'd like a bit of help getting
on my feet again.

Specifically, I'd like
 - a method category 'transition-help' in SystemDictionary
 - a class method #help3p6 in that category
 - the method body to be just a comment containing pairs of lines
     Smalltalk <message 1>
     is now (<OtherClass> <message 2>).
   e.g.,
    "Smalltalk condenseChanges
     is now (SourceManager condenseChanges).
     Smalltalk sourcesName
     is now (SourceManager sourcesName).
     Smalltalk bytesLeft
     is now (MemoryManager bytesLeft).
     ..."

I want this stuff where the browser can find it.
For example, suppose I type
    Smalltalk bytesLeft
in a workspace, and get a MNU.  Then I can ask for "sources with it",
and be pointed right to the place I want.
The format of the comment is quite deliberate.
The new form of the message is in parentheses so that it can easily
be selected.  So two more clicks and I've actually done what I set
out to do.

I suppose someone will say that it should be in a web page somewhere.
But then to get at it, I would have to know either what the web page's
URL is, or at least _where_ the URL is hidden away.

The absolute minimum would be to have such a web page,
and include a link to it in the class comment for SystemDictionary.

Nathanael wrote:

	However, it is ***absolutely*** important that we make sure that
	the utility methods are as easily findable as they are before.

He doesn't mean quite what I mean, but both kinds of finding are important.