Tablet PCs

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Fri Jun 13 18:36:52 UTC 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Ned Konz wrote:

> Still, no matter how accurate your gesture recognition is, it's
> painful to enter any large amount of text when you're just doing
> per-stroke recognition. Most of us don't do clean, disconnected
> strokes when we write fast. We'll be experimenting with feeding the
> strokes captured by my Ink Morph to Genie in the background (perhaps
> using a dictionary like M$ does), but I don't expect it to work very
> well.

One possibility I've always wondered about is using an external
recognizer, feeding it the information from your Ink Morph, for example.
(is this available anywhere?) On desktop Windows and CE, Squeak could feed
it to CalliGrapher/Transcriber- it has an API for exactly this sort of
thing.  I've never done it for Dynapad on WinCE/PocketPC, but it could be
a way to provide real HWR to folks on those platforms.

In this InkMorph+Genie thing, are you planning on attempting real HWR at
all?  Trying to disconnect the letters of a word and then feed it to
Genie?  While I've never achieved much of a speed with any sort of
stroke/character recogntion, I can achieve 50 WPM using Newton OS 2.x HWR
or CalliGrapher.

Regards,
Aaron

--
  "life, probably the biggest word i've ever said, that says a lot,
  because there's a whole lot of words inside my head.." :: atmosphere