Tablet PCs

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Fri Jun 13 22:26:09 UTC 2003

The old GRAIL recognizer in the late 60s was pretty much 100% and
buffered the recognition so you could put in characters as fast as
you could draw them -- some pretty impressive speeds were achieved
with this.
      And the Engelbart 5 finger keyboard+mouse way of navigating and
inputing was quite similar: it was perfect and pretty fast.
      However, everyone who got fluent in these systems agreed that
there should also be a keyboard for inputing of paragraphs, and there
was pretty much universal agreement that the UI should be set up so
that one tended to stay in one setup (regular keyboard) or the other
(nav + character input) for as long as possible. This is why the
Dynabook model always showed both a pen and a keyboard.
      The really important thing about the penbased systems of the 60s
was that the ideas of inputing text and pushing buttons were quite
secondary to the importance of being able to draw shapes and have
them recognized and be able to hook them together graphically and
semantically. Its this dimension that is sadly lacking in most
penbased systems today (especially wrt PDAs, etc.).

The stuff that Nathanael and Ned are doing is quite impressive and is
a wonderful throwback to the much more expressive systems of long ago.

Cheers,

Alan