Genie (was: RE: Tablet PCs)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Jun 16 05:15:05 UTC 2003

On Sunday 15 June 2003 07:42 pm, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> Speaking of Genie, how do I drive it?
>
> World|help|enable genie
> => I can draw a letter with my pen (Mac G3, MacOS 8.6, Wacom
> tablet), but when I pick the pen up, the letter disappears leaving
> no trace

That's because nothing recognized the gesture, probably.

> World|help|genie gestures stuff
> => what does it mean to add a gesture, and how do I do it?
>    I get a "Basic" dialogue box with lots of fields to fill in; I
> fill in the names, leave everything else alone, click on Accept,
> the box flickers, and nothing appears to have happened.  I am
> certainly not asked to draw the gesture.
>
> Are there some files I need which didn't come with 3.5?

There are some sample gesture dictionaries that have been part of the
Genie distribution, but you can just define your own dictionary.

The "Basic" box is the definition of a dictionary.

Its exported name is the name that it will be looked up with by the
gesture's target Morph.

In 3.5, the target is the Morph on which the gesture starts.

If you export a dictionary as 'Text' it will be used for TextMorphs.
If you export a dictionary as the name of a Morph class, it will be
used by that class.

So if you export your new dictionary as 'PasteUpMorph' it will be used
for gestures on the desktop.

You can then add gestures to the dictionary using the 'Browse' tab of
the dictionary inspector.

I've attached a dictionary that defines a single gesture which will
bring up an inspector on the World.

We've improved the Genie experience quite a bit, though; the new work
will be out soon.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com