[KCP] SystemDictionary cleaning: Comments and design

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Jun 16 11:14:13 UTC 2003

Hi all!

Just wanted to voice my full support for Nathanael's very good post
here.

I would also like to hear his view about globals holding onto instances
of a class. Like "Smalltalk" holding a "SystemDictionary" and
"Transcript" holding a "TranscriptStream".

Personally I feel that these beasts makes Smalltalk/Squeak a bit more
tricky. Newbies keep stumbling on this fact. So when I say, just call
SystemDictionary>>garbageCollect - it really isn't obvious that they
should type "Smalltalk garbageCollect" and vice versa.

regards, Göran