[ENH] EventEnhancement-nk

Andres Valloud sqrmax at comcast.net
Wed Jun 18 02:36:44 UTC 2003

> I can follow Robert's suggestion and change the method names in my
> code around so that the default would be to use strong references to
> both the receiver and arguments, but you could use weak references
> instead if you asked for them explicitly.
>
> Meanwhile, does anyone else want to weigh in on this topic?

John put it extremely well already.  I couldn't agree more with him.  In
fact, I used his code to convert all Squeak event systems to
when:send:to:.  Once everything was converted, strong references made it
easy to enforce zero memory leaks and reproduceable image size save
after save after save.

If the intention to couple objects via event systems is explicit, so
must be the intention of decoupling them at the appropriate time.

Andres.