[ENH] SMLoader search pane

Ingo Hohmann ingo at 2b1.de
Wed Jun 18 06:22:19 UTC 2003

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> [extra pane for installed packages]
> Sounds like an excellent solution - whats the problem? seriously,
> currently SM Loader doesn't help you do anything interesting for
> installed packages (as far as I know). Are you interested in just seeing
> them? Whether it is worth including depends on whether it serves
> something lots of people care about.

_I_ would find it usefull to just know what I have installed so far, but
being able to do something interesting with installed package sure
wouldn't hurt.

> [use indicators in package list]
> For exactly this kind of thing, I think it's really improtant that we
> seriously consider functional improvements to common widgets for
> inclusion in the image. There is an extension for colored PLMs on SM,
> and another for keyboard control of hierarchy lists (the latter I've
> nominated for inclusion) but it seems this is much less important to
> people than pure Look enhancements, which I find quite curious.

I haven't delved deeply enough into squeak to talk about enhancements,
but I find usability enhancements much more important. Especially being
abel to use the keyboard is important to me (you know, I have one of
them cordless mice, which you really _should_not_ forget to put onto
their power station during the night ;-)

Kind regards,

Ingo