[BUG] Can't read BMPs in 3.4/3.5 Windows VM (was Re: [bug?] Problems with Alice -- can't open new models)

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 19 19:29:50 UTC 2003

Thanks, Tim -- I tried this.  I commented out the <primitive> line in the
method you mentioned.  Same difference -- Squeak still dies without crash.dmp.

Mark

At 02:48 PM 6/18/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Mark Guzdial <guzdial at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
>
> > I can't read any BMP's with a 3.4 or 3.5 Windows VM on an XP box.  The
> same
> > BMP's open just fine in 3.2.  It's a VM-level bug because I can read the
> > BMP's in a 3.5 image running in a 3.2 VM.  But in a 3.4 or 3.5 VM, trying
> > to read the BMP crashes Squeak.
>Well it's done by the BMPReadWriterPlugin. Since it was in-image code
>until 3.6, I guess the evidence comes from the changes file.
>Hmm, the plugin was added in update 4891 from code by Andreas dated 16
>june 2002. This was nominally for 3.3a and I can't spot any difference
>with the code in my latest VMMaker file. I _have_ tested this on my
>Acorn and it works fine.
>I guess using the 3.2 vm means you're relying on the back up code.
>Obvious quick check is to comment out the primitive call in
>  !BMPReadWriter methodsFor: 'reading' stamp: 'ar 6/16/2002 18:47'!
>read24BmpLine: pixelLine into: formBits startingAt: formBitsIndex width: width
>         | pixIndex rgb bitsIndex |
>         <primitive: 'primitiveRead24BmpLine' module:'BMPReadWriterPlugin'>
>         pixIndex _ 0. "pre-increment"
>and see if all seems well. After that it requires someone to debug the
>code on a wondows machine...
>
>tim
>--
>Tim Rowledge, tim at sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
>No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood

______
Mark Guzdial, Associate Professor, College of Computing/GVU
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~mark.guzdial/
Collaborative Software Lab http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl