[ANN][WIN32] 3.5.1 VM now available

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jun 22 16:58:03 UTC 2003

Hi PhiHo,

> >>     5/- 'UUIDPlugin' unfortunately cannot enjoy the freedom
> >> of an external plugin just because of: [...]
>
> > Have you tried it to see if it works?
>
>     I just run a quick SUnitTest TestRunner on your 3.5.1
> (with internal UUIDPlugin)
>    and MobVM Mulimedia Release with Squeak 3.5, both failed on :
>
>         TestUUIDPrimitives>>testCreationRandom
>
>     For MobVM, if I removed the UUIDPlugin.dll, I got 9/9, no
> failure. no errors Isn't this interesting ;-)

This particular test fails because the Windows UUID creation function does a
one-way hash on the UUID for security reasons (e.g., to not openly encode
the MAC address). The test is somewhat meaningless in this situation.

> > Since I'm initializing COM these days directly from the main VM
> > I know this is going to work if it's builtin and the above
> > was a reflection on the fact
> > (e.g., a deliberate decision as I wasn't sure if that's
> > going to work or not).
>
>     How did you test to know that it works ?

There is only a single place where COM initialization happens. I removed all
the other initializations. It may be that this is just the right thing to do
for external libs but I am not certain about this.

Cheers,
  - Andreas