[ENH] GrafPort>>frameRect

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 23 19:21:47 UTC 2003

I noticed that Form>>border:width:rule:fillColor: does the same thing as
GrafPort>>frameRect and has a faster implementation, so I made a workalike
for GrafPort. This is a common operation used for things like borders in
Morphic.

Here is a summary of the speed differences, produced by the code below.

200   100      50     25      "width&height"
2290  2015  1868  1805  "old ms"
1484  1215  1077  1018  "new ms"

size := 100.
r := Rectangle origin: 100 at 100 extent: size at size.
d := Display getCanvas.
c := Color black.
t := Time
lisecondsToRun:[
10000 timesRepeat:[d frameRectangle: r width: 2 color: c]
].

Of course, we don't want several implementations of the same functions floating around, so it would be nice if these implementations had a real home. Theres a lot of duplication between the Form, Bitblt, Canvas, etc hierarchies.

Let me know if you see any problems.
Thanks,
Eddie