Bitstream Vera Fonts

tblanchard at mac.com tblanchard at mac.com
Tue Jun 24 13:42:24 UTC 2003

FWIW I've gotten that message too - doing a bit of digging...it seems
that the TTCFont only handles fonts with subfamily names
'Bold' 'Italic' 'Bold Italic'.  Anything else it considers an error.
The method in question is TTCFont>>derivativeFont:

The Vera fonts have subfamily names like 'Roman' or 'Oblique' which
freaks out TTCFont.
In fact, the base font seems to have a subfamily name 'Roman' but the
TTCFont assumes the base font subfamily name is 'Regular'.

So, what happens is the first font loads in OK because no analysis is
done on the subfamily name.  The second font causes a reorganization of
the family name cluster and you get all kinds of assumptions being
broken by unexpected subfamily names.  So you can never load in a
second Vera font.

I think the solutions would include:  naming the base vera font
subfamily name to 'Regular' or changing the isRegular implementation to
conclude 'Roman' also implies a base font.  Plus eliminating the
subfamily name assumption in TTCFont (why not use a dictionary?).

But until this is sorted out, the Vera's aren't too usable with the
current TT lib.